What Determines Our Skin Age?
As the years go by many of us will notice and wonder why our skin might look older or younger than other peoples. There are three main factors that influence how our skin will age. These are genetics, sun damage and lifestyle factors.
How Lifestyle Affects Skin Ageing
If we live a healthy lifestyle, keeping skin hydrated internally and fed with a healthy diet full of protein, good fats, fruits and vegetables; instead of processed food, sugar and alcohol, then it will show in our skin. Likewise exercise also plays a role in the health of our skin, as it does with every other organ in our body. Keeping active and exercising is great for skin as it improves the circulation and reduces inflammation. Getting enough sleep every night also plays a significant role in our skin health, as it is during sleep that our systems repair itself.
One of the other great things that we can do to help skin as part of our lifestyle is to use high performance natural skincare products like Nakin’s. Good skincare can fight off stress to the skin and protect from signs of ageing. At Nakin we have everything that you need to keep the face and neck conditioned, protected and hydrated. Take a look at our range in the links below.
- See our award winning face cleansers that are kind to even sensitive skin.
- See our award winning anti-ageing creams that rejuvenate naturally.
- See our award winning anti-wrinkle eye cream for fresh revived eyes.
- See our award winning lip care for soft, hydrated plump lips.
- See our full clean natural anti-ageing products face range.
How Sun Damage Affects Skin Ageing
One of the main factors of skin ageing is undoubtedly damage from the suns UV rays. UV rays cause damage to the skin layers and this is known as photo ageing. One of reasons that our face, neck and back of hands are so susceptible to skin damage is because they are exposed to UV rays so regularly, often on a daily basis. It is therefore essential to use sunscreen diligently and cover up with clothes, hats and sunglasses.
The environment can also affect how our skin ages in other ways, and this is especially true of cold weather and pollution. Chilly weather and indoor heating systems suck moisture from the skin, and pollution generates oxidative stress and inflammation.
How Genetics Affects Skin Ageing
Genetics definitely plays a huge role in how quickly our skin ages. The National Centre for Biotechnology Information reported that studies on twins have shown that up to 60% of skin ageing variation between individuals can be attributed to genetic factors, with the remaining 40% being due to non-genetic factors.
A factor is how dark and oily our skin is. Oilier skin tends to show ageing slower than dry skin, and darker skin tends to better protected from the suns UV rays. Oilier skin seems to have a more shielding effect on skin ageing. Whereas dry skin is a lot more vulnerable to damage from environmental stressors and loss of hydration, plus dry skin can exacerbate lines and cause skin to lose its glow.
There are so many other genetic factors that can play a role too, such as the shape of our face and features, plus the thickness of our skin. If we have thin skin, it is more susceptible to UV damage and more easily showing signs of ageing such as lines and wrinkles.
We hope that you found our feature about some of the factors that determine our skin age. As we outlined it is mostly down to genetics, sun exposure and lifestyle. However, there are other factors that can play a part. There are many cosmetic procedures such as Botox, fillers, peels and surgical procedures that can influence how our skin looks. Another factor can be hormone replacement therapy as it can have an effect on skin age for women after the menopause. The loss of oestrogen in menopause also contributes to a loss of collagen, which affects how our skin looks. Generally, after menopause women see more noticeable wrinkles and skin has a less supportive framework and instead becomes more fragile. Hormone replacement therapy can have an effect on this as it provides oestrogen. At Nakin we only advocate taking medicines that are prescribed by a doctor as being required to benefit our health. We are only mentioning the HRT as it can be a contributing factor.
At Nakin we believe in letting skin age naturally, but helping it to look as good as it can with our natural anti-ageing skincare products. To find out more about us visit the links below.
UK Skincare Sensitive Skincare Cruelty Free Skincare Vegan Skincare
Leave a comment