When we think of an acid, we tend to think of something really harsh and not an ingredient that we would include in a skincare formulation. However, this is not the case as some of these acids have some pretty great benefits for skin. At Nakin we are dedicated to producing the best natural anti-ageing skincare using high quality natural ingredients, and because some of the cosmetic acid ingredients are natural and kind to skin we use them in our skincare products, such as hyaluronic acid and lactic acid. There are lots of different acid ingredients and we steer clear of most of them, as although they have great benefits, they can be pretty harsh and cause irritation. Instead, we use natural alternatives, so instead of using glycolic acid we use exfoliating fruit extracts and instead of ascorbic acid, which is synthetic vitamin C, we have vitamin C in our products from the naturally occurring plant extracts.
One thing we do find is that there is quite a lot of confusion about what the different acids are in skincare ingredients and their different benefits for skin. So, we have compiled some easy-to-follow information to show what the different acids do for our skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Our favourite and helps with hydration plus plumping out lines & wrinkles.
- Lactic Acid – Our second favourite as it has so many benefits that includes clearing congestion, improving skin texture, brightening, hydrating plus smoothing lines and wrinkles.
- Glycolic Acid – Probably one of the most well-known acids for exfoliating, brightening, smoothing skin texture and lines. It can be harsh on skin though.
- Salicylic Acid – Helps with skin texture, acne and brightening the complexion.
- L-Absorbic Acid – This is synthetic vitamin C which is often found in skincare serums and creams, due to its brightening ability for dull skin or an uneven skin tone. This is one to especially take care of as it can be strong when applied with a noticeable irritating feeling.
- Mandelic Acid – Another multipurpose acid that is brightening, helps to relieve congestion, an uneven texture plus lines and wrinkles.
- Azelaic Acid – Helps skin with congestion, hydration and texture.
- Ferulic Acid – Another brightening acid that also helps with lines and wrinkles.
- Kojic Acid – Good for congested skin plus brightening and to help fade scars.
We hope that you found our feature helpful about what the different acids in skincare are, and how they benefit us in our beauty regimes. As we mentioned, we are not recommending using products with these acids in, as some can be irritating, instead this is more an information piece. At Nakin we are dedicated to producing the best plant-based formulations possible and you can find out more about our brand and products in the links below.
- Discover our award-winning natural anti-ageing cleansers.
- Discover our award-winning natural anti-ageing face treatments.
- Discover our award-winning natural anti-ageing moisturisers.
- Discover our award-winning natural anti-ageing eye cream.
- Discover our award-winning natural anti-ageing lip care.
- See our full range of natural anti-ageing products, with everything needed in an effective face care routine.