Dry lips are something that many of us suffer with from time to time. It is quite common as our lips are constantly exposed. Our lips are also thinner than the rest of the facial skin, so they are susceptible to moisture loss. We might also bite our lips when stressed, or lick our lips, and both of which can cause dryness. Saliva causes dryness of the lips as it contains powerful enzymes that help us to break our food down which weakens our lips. One of the best things that you can do for lips is to avoid touching, biting and licking them. Another cause of dry lips is the weather. Cold temperatures quickly dry lips out and so a protective lip balm that also contains lip boosting ingredients helps to keep lips soft, smooth and comforted. Dry lips can range from being a little annoying, to something much more problematic. Dry lips might be peeling, cracked, sore or even bleeding. Using an amazing lip balm for dry lips will really help to heal and protect lips from further issues. At Nakin we are dedicated to producing the best natural skincare products available and we have extremely strict criteria about what makes a good lip balm, as below.
- The best lip balm will always be a 100% natural lip balm with no artificial ingredients at all. This is because balms do not contain water, and so do not need synthetic ingredients. Surprisingly though many lip balms still contain artificial ingredients, so read the back of pack information carefully.
- We recommend always choosing a lip balm that is petrolatum free. This is because it is derived from extracting crude oil and has no goodness for lips.
- A nice product will be an anti-ageing lip balm. We do not tend to think of lips as ageing, but they do thin out over time and dry cracked lips are ageing to our look. So, a good lip balm will contain lovely youth boosting antioxidant ingredients.
- Good lip balms will be free of comedogenic ingredients like coconut oil. This is because this slippery oil can slip off lips to skin around the mouth and clog pores.
- A good lip balm will never be too greasy as it needs to stay on lips to hydrate and protect them, instead of moving around.
- Lastly, what makes a fantastic lip balm for dry lips is the ingredients within it. Gorgeous softening, moisturising protecting oils and butters packed with vitamins and minerals are essential. Avoid ingredients like dyes, flavouring and glosses, that are commonly added to lip products.
Taking all of our criteria into account, we believe that our Nakin Lip Treatment Balm is the best lip balm for dry lips. It has a dreamy soft balmy texture with a luxurious feel when applied to lips. The formula is 100% natural and made with lip boosting plant extracts like shea, argan, castor, grape seed, baobab and marigold for intense softening and hydration, with a repairing antioxidant boost. It also leaves skin looking lovely soft and hydrated, plus helps to heal dryness. So good that it has won the best therapeutic lip balm in the Beauty Shortlist Awards twice. It is also a cruelty free lip balm plus amazing value at only £10 for a lovely 15ml pot.
We hope that you found our article about the best lip balm for dry lips useful. Most of us suffer with dry lips from time to time and appreciate a good lip balm. We should say that our Lip Treatment Balm does not contain SPF as it is designed to be used night and day, and it is better for your lips to only use sunscreen when actually exposed to the sun. SPF can be applied on top though, as with other products such as lip sticks. To see the rest of Nakin’s award-winning face products visit us here.