We all know that sunflowers are special, but did you know that this gorgeous plant is able to produce an oil that has many benefits for skin. Sunflower oil is often overlooked as it is quite a common oil, and it is affordable. This is because it is easy to grow, which is why it is a common oil in cooking and is available at a good price. The oil is extracted from the sunflower seeds produced by the plant, and it is highly nutritious and beneficial to skin. Therefore, we often use it as part of our face care product base in Nakin’s natural skincare products. We use sunflower oil as an ingredient because it works as a great emollient to deliver other anti-ageing plant actives to skin, but it also has many benefits on its own. It is great at preserving skin and this is another reason that we use it in our anti-ageing skincare. Here is a list of the main reasons why your skin will love sunflower oil.
- Sunflower oil is quite a light one, and non-greasy, which makes it perfect for using on the skin. It will deliver hydration and goodness without being overly greasy, or clogging pores. It has a comedogenic rating of zero, which means that even those with very oily skin can be sure that it will not contribute to breakouts, or clog pores.
- Sunflower oil is naturally packed with vitamin E, which is an amazing antioxidant to help skin fight off free radical damage, for fresh and healthy skin. This antioxidant ability protects against the free radicals that cause skin ageing. Sunflower oil also contains other nutrients, like vitamin A and K. Vitamins such as these really help skin to protect the collagen and elastin and so maintain the smooth plumpness.
- It is full of healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats delivering oleic and linoleic fatty acids to skin. These omega oils are the building blocks of healthy cell membranes. We need to ensure that we include them in our diet, but also applying them to skin topically helps to achieve glowing radiant hydrated skin.
- Sunflower oil has many amazing benefits for the eczema. It is a kind nurturing oil so can be used directly on skin - even if it is red, sore and cracked. It helps to maintain the outer protective layer of the skin, so assists in maintaining and improving the skin's barrier function.
- Sunflower oil is an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial ingredient, this makes it really healing to troubled irritated skin, and it even calms itchy skin.
- You can use sunflower oil directly onto skin and a little bit goes a long way. It can be used as a hydrating body oil and is perfect for the winter months when skin tends to be drier, as it helps to keep water in the skin cells, as well as providing relief to dry areas.
- Sunflower oil is a brilliant natural ingredient that you can get at most health food stores. If you are using it within amazing skin care products like Nakin’s, then you do not need to buy additional sunflower oil for the face. But if you wanted to purchase just pure sunflower oil then buy cold pressed versions, as this method does not use chemical solvents to derive the oil from the seed.
We hope that you enjoyed our feature about the amazing benefits of sunflower oil for skin. Nakin are dedicated to achieving beautiful skin at every age using the best natural ingredients. To find out more about Nakin and our award winning anti-ageing skincare then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com Nakin produce natural face products for all skin types, including sensitive skin. The full range can be found here and is designed to help skin to thrive and flourish by using the best plant active ingredients. Everything is cruelty free and made in the UK. Nakin’s skincare range has been formulated to offer the best skincare products at exceptional value.