At Nakin we love the sun, it makes us happy and fills us with Vitamin D. But it can also be very damaging to our skin, as we all know. It is commonplace now for us to apply sunscreen to our skin and the aim is to protect skin from the harmful UV rays. There are two different types of sunscreen that protect the skin from the sun in different ways. Natural sunscreens which reflect UV rays away from our skin and then synthetic sunscreens that can deflect UV rays, but also convert the rays into heat and deactivate them. At Nakin we believe in living a natural lifestyle wherever possible, and this is why we developed our award-winning natural skincare range. So, we are big advocates for using natural sunscreen. This is because we believe that natural sunscreens are better for our bodies and the environment. We look at the benefits of using a natural sunscreen below.
We do just want to state that just because a sunscreen states that it is natural does not automatically make it the perfect product. The main thing with any sun protection product is that it is a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB rays. It’s also a good idea to look at the actual ingredients list, as there is a lot of green washing in the cosmetics industry. Terms such as naturally inspired and contains natural ingredients might just mean that it has a scent similar to coconut, or that the product has some natural ingredients like aloe vera. Natural sunscreens protect skin from the sun using ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and these would need to appear high up in the product ingredients list. True natural products like Nakin's are made with a commitment to producing skincare that helps skin to flourish and thrive, with amazing plant ingredients, and therefore our range includes some of the best skincare products available.
Why Natural Sunscreens are Kinder to Skin
Natural sunscreens have many benefits for skin as they do not cause any of the problems that synthetic sunscreens can.
- Elle magazine researched this and Dr Melanie Palm, who is a board-certified dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon, advised them that they can be damaging and ageing to skin. This is because chemical sunscreens work by changing light into heat energy, which can cause inflammation and premature skin aging.
- Natural sunscreens do not use synthetic chemical ingredients such as oxybenzone and octinoxate, which have concerns linked to them. All sunscreens in the UK must adhere to strict safety standards in terms of their ability to protect skin from sun damage and burning. However, the Environmental Working Group recommend avoiding ingredients such as oxybenzone as it is an allergen and can affect hormone levels. Octinoxate is also an endocrine disruptor with other potentially unwelcome side-effects.
- True natural skincare products will also avoid other harsh ingredients such as parabens, PEGs, artificial colour and fragrance. Generally natural skincare will always work in harmony with skin, as the natural ingredients are kind and nourishing. Therefore, natural sun care products are much less likely to aggravate sensitive skin or other skin concerns.
Why Natural Sunscreens Are Kinder to the Environment
Natural sunscreens are so much kinder to the environment than synthetic sunscreens which can cause lots of problems.
- Natural sunscreens do not contain ingredients that damage coral or harm marine-life through their non-biodegradable nature. Dr Craig Downs who is an eco toxicologist in Virginia told Vogue magazine that synthetic sunscreens can make oceans look like they have had an oil spill. This is because when the chemical sunscreens wash off of swimmers they do not naturally mix with the water or wider ecosystem. Further to this, there is a growing body of research that shows chemical sunscreens like oxybenzone can be damaging to wildlife. Oxybenzone is known to be an endocrine disruptor but it can also prevent coral from being able to reproduce as it is a UV absorbing compound. The main synthetic sunscreens to avoid are oxybenzone, octinoxate and octocrylene.
- Brands that produce credible ethical natural products also tend to have kind hearts and strong environmental beliefs. Brands such as Nakin ensure all their products are cruelty free and that the ingredients that they use are from ethical sustainable sources.
To find out more about Nakin and our amazing natural anti-ageing skincare products then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com At Nakin we do not have natural sunscreens in our range, instead we have a full face care regime of award-winning cleansers, moisturisers and treatments. Although Nakin’s skincare products do not protect skin from the sun’s harmful rays, they are full of skin loving plant extracts like hyaluronic acid, hibiscus and pomegranate which can help with past sun damage. This is because they are naturally filled with skin loving antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, oils and butters to condition, treat and pamper skin. The full Nakin range is kind to even sensitive skin, as well as being cruelty free and made in the UK.