Glycerin is a traditional ingredient that has been used as an aid to skin for centuries. It was especially popular in the late last century when mixed with rosewater as a refreshing, hydrating and softening skin tonic. Nowadays, it appears in many natural skincare products for its moisturising and skin beautifying properties. It is not generally applied directly onto skin, as it is quite sticky on its own, but instead usually appears as one of many ingredients in cosmetic product formulations. It is easy to get hold of and is extracted from a variety of plants. This is why it is so affordable, as it can be obtained from so many plant sources, like coconuts. But the fact that it is common and affordable, does not showcase the excellent benefits that it has for skin. Glycerin is moisturising and enhancing to skin in many ways and this is why we use it so much in our anti-ageing skincare products.
Of course, as with any ingredient sometimes people can be allergic to glycerin. It is always best to carry out a patch test before using any new skincare product and seek medical advice if an allergy is suspected. But for most of us glycerin will benefit skin. It is a great natural ingredient, that is actually included in a lot of the food we eat. Read our list below to discover how lovely glycerin is for skin.
- Glycerin is hugely hydrating to skin. Healthline report that one study showed it was more effective than hyaluronic acid at hydrating skin and preventing loss of moisture. This is pretty amazing as hyaluronic acid is one of the best natural actives available.
- It is anti-ageing to skin, and this was reported about in Science Daily and a study carried out at the Medical College of Georgia. This is because glycerin works as a signal to help direct skin cells through their four normal stages of maturity. It means that the baby skin cells in the deepest layers of skin reach the skins surface faster, to help form the skin's protective barrier.
- The natural emollient properties of glycerin keep skin soft, supple and plump.
- Glycerin is non-comedogenic, so it will not clog your pores, it works beautifully with even oily skin types.
- As glycerin does not clog pores, it works as an excellent ingredient in face cleansers.
- Glycerin is kind to skin, so can be used on sensitive skin.
We hope that you found our feature helpful about the benefits of glycerin for skin. The good news is that you don’t need to rush out and buy a bottle of glycerin, as it is in most of the the best skincare products. Glycerin is used to hydrate and blend many face care products, so you have probably been applying it to your face for years without knowing. We definitely use in our Nakin Product Range.
Nakin are dedicated to achieving beautiful skin at every age using the best natural ingredients. To find out more about Nakin and our award winning anti-ageing skincare then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com Nakin produce natural face products for all skin types, including sensitive skin. The full range can be found here and is designed to help skin to thrive and flourish by using the best plant active ingredients. Everything is cruelty free and made in the UK. If you would like to get in touch with Nakin then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org We would love to hear your thoughts and are also available to offer skincare and product advice.