We all know how important it is to protect our skin from the sun. Sunburn can damage skin and is one of the main factors in skin ageing. More seriously, it increases the risk of skin cancer. Healthline state that this is because when the skin absorbs ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, it can damage the genetic material in skin cells. This damage can cause immediate sunburn, but also build up over time to increase the risk of skin cancer. Therefore, we need to take exposure to the sun seriously. In this feature we look at the natural treatments to help with sunburn. However, if the sunburn is severe then always see medical advice. The Mayo Clinic advise to consult a doctor for sunburn when there are blisters, or if it covers a large portion of the body. This would also be the case if skin is infected or swelling, plus if the sunburn is accompanied by a high fever, dizziness, headache, severe pain, dehydration, confusion, nausea or chills. Always seek medical advice if you are worried about the symptoms. For milder cases of sunburn read our advice below to help heal skin naturally.
At Nakin all of our natural Anti-Ageing Skincare Products help to prevent and correct the signs of ageing, with skin healing plant actives. Our natural face care products help to improve skin issues caused by sun damage, such as lines and an uneven skin tone. Sometimes though when we get sunburnt, we need to take immediate action to help skin to recover. Of course, prevention is always better than a cure, and therefore we should avoid the sun in the middle of the day when it is strong. Plus, always cover skin up with clothes, hats and sunglasses; and apply a good quality high SPF broad-spectrum suncream to skin at least 15 minutes before going out; and then reapply it every 2 hours. Sometimes though we still get sunburnt despite our best efforts and there are lots of natural therapies to help to heal and restore skin.
Symptoms of Sunburn
- Sensitive irritated skin
- Red and warm skin
- Peeling skin
Natural Remedies for Sunburn
There are lots of completely natural remedies for sunburn, that are easily accessible and really help to heal and alleviate the symptoms of sunburn. It is important to stay hydrated and we have listed our top five natural topical treatments to apply to skin as below.
- Cool water applied directly to the area of skin that is sunburned, will really help to calm the skin. The NHS advise to cool the skin by sponging it with cold water or by having a cold bath or shower – applying a cold compress such as a cold flannel to the affected area may also help.
- Aloe vera is amazing for helping skin that has sunburn. You can use the shop bought products which are great value, or you can snap a leaf off of an aloe vera plant if you have one to hand. With the shop bought aloe vera ensure that it is over 99% natural aloe vera. Healthline have written about studies which show evidence that aloe vera is effective in even healing burns. Aloe is anti-inflammatory, promotes circulation and inhibits the growth of bacteria. Aloe vera has a lovely gel like consistency and the NCBI advise that it naturally contains 75 potentially active constituents made up of vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, lignin, saponins, salicylic acids and amino acids. It also contains folic acid and choline.
- Natural plant oils help relieve and heal sunburnt skin, as they contain masses of nutrients to deeply nourish skin. Our 100% natural Revitalising Face Oil is full of beautiful caring plant oils, like argan that reduces inflammation with linoleic acid and vitamin E. It also contains baobab oil which is rich in omega oils to boost and hydrate skin, and jojoba which calms skin and reduces irritation. Our oil is designed for use on the face, but it can be used on the body too as required.
- Shea butter can be applied directly onto sunburn for a highly effective natural treatment. The rich fatty consistency hydrates sore skin and the vitamins and nutrients heal it. It is full of antioxidant vitamins and contains linoleic, palmitic, stearic, and oleic fatty acids which are highly nourishing and soothing to skin.
- Witch hazel is a liquid extract that is a soothing treatment for helping to heal skin, and it also has antiseptic properties. WebMD say that its power comes from the naturally occurring tannins. When witch hazel is applied directly to the skin it may help to reduce swelling, repair broken skin and to fight bacteria.
Once you have treated your sunburnt skin then take care to ensure the affected area of skin is completely covered from the sun until it heals. To prevent future sunburn, try to avoid being out in the middle of the day when the sun is at its strongest. Plus, always cover skin up with clothes, hats and sunglasses. Also apply a good quality high SPF broad-spectrum suncream to skin at least 15 minutes before going outside, and then reapply it every 2 hours.
To find out more about Nakin and our natural skincare then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com The full award winning range enhances skin using stunning plant actives and is suitable for even sensitive skin types. Everything is cruelty free and made in the UK.