Having nicely shaped eyebrows is one of the best things that we can do to naturally enhance our look. Beautifully shaped eyebrows help to shape our face and define our features. We all have incredibly unique eyebrows that vary in thickness and size, as well as different features. So, the very best eyebrow shape can be hard to determine on your own. A good option is to get your eyebrows shaped at a professional beauty salon, as they will be experienced in achieving a perfect shape for your eyes and face. However, this is not always possible and so we have written a little guide on how to shape your eyebrows yourself. Read on to find out everything that you need to know about shaping, plucking and colouring your eyebrows at home, in our ten-step guide.
- Begin by getting the right tools ready for this task. This includes a spoolie, which is like a mascara brush wand but without any product on it. You will also need good tweezers, a magnifying mirror and some small nail scissors.
- Then decide on the right eyebrow shape for you. It is always best to go with something similar to your natural shape and then just enhance this. It will look more natural and be easier to maintain. Look at online videos and tutorials to discover the best shape for your face. As we mentioned it is a good idea to get your eyebrows shaped by a professional beauty therapist the start with, and then just maintain the shape they have created for you. Some beauticians will use the ancient art of threading which uses a thin twisted and doubled thread, rolled over unwanted eyebrow hair. It is incredible precise and also removes hair at a follicle level. Even if your eyebrows have been threaded you can still maintain the shape easily at home. In order to maintain the shape of professionally shaped eyebrows then the best thing to do is carry out daily plucking of new eyebrow hairs, in order to keep the eyebrow shape perfect. If you miss a few days of plucking, then it can be hard to know which hairs are from re-growth and need to be plucked. It can result in plucking brows that are giving a nice shape. The first thing to do is thoroughly research the right shape for your face and brows, have an image of this on show all the time to refer to for reference. There is lots of information online on how to choose the perfect eyebrow shape. Marie Claire magazine advise the below shapes work best for different faces as below.
- Round faces benefit from high, sharp arches as they provide a vertical point on your face, lifting everything upwards rather than outwards. If you brush your brows upwards this can also help to elongate your face.
- Long faces can look great when brows are elongated at the end. This will draw things horizontally, to balance out your features. A flatter brow shape also makes long faces appear more balanced.
- Oval faces look great with most eyebrow styles, and it is more about highlighting facial features.
- Heart-shaped faces should keep things straight or rounded, but not too heavy. Take care when using a pencil on sparse areas, as it can emphasise the forehead too much.
- Square faces look good with a thick strong arch, this helps to balance a heavier jawline.
- It’s a good idea to exfoliate the face the day before tweezing the eyebrows. This will prevent the risk of ingrown hairs, which is when the skin kind of grows over individual hairs near the eyes. These do not look great and can be very hard to remove. They can also cause trauma to the skin when ingrown eyebrow hair is removed, as it can cause a cut and bruising on the skin. Gently exfoliate the skin using our natural Advanced Cleansing Milk. To exfoliate with it then simply remove the cleansing milk from the face with a damp warm muslin cloth, massaging skin in small circular motions on the face and neck. The abrasive action of the muslin cloth acts as the exfoliator.
- Right before plucking the eyebrows we recommend steaming the face gentle with a bowl of very hot water and a towel, as this makes it easy for the hairs to be removed cleanly from the root, and causes less damage to skin. Always dry the brow area thoroughly before plucking, as otherwise if skin is wet then it will be too slippery to get a good grip on the hair.
- Before beginning the plucking find the right area in your home for the job and have all the equipment to hand. Natural light is always best to get the best view of the hairs on your eyebrows. If this is not possible, or your room is very dark then a pair of tweezers that light up will solve this problem, and you will easily be able to see the eyebrow area for effective plucking. You also need your magnifying mirror to get the best view of the area, for thorough and precise plucking. It is best to have a free-standing magnifying mirror as this means you have both hands free, which will allow you to have more control over the plucking.
- Now for the actual plucking of the eyebrows. Start by taking your spoolie and comb through the eyebrows. You can actually brush up all the hairs of your eyebrows, which can really help to get a perfect shape under the eyebrow. The way to pluck is to gently pull out the hairs with a tweezer in the direction of the hair growth. This means pulling the eyebrow hairs out at a kind of side angle. The main area to concentrate on is underneath the eyebrow, and take extra care achieving the arch. Some of us will need to pluck hair from the side of the eyes and in between the eyebrows. It is generally advised to leave the area above the eyebrows as this is our natural eyebrow shape. However, it is fine to pluck away the odd stray hair from here. But mainly the aim is to have a beautiful arch in the lower brow area. You might be looking at your eyebrows thinking something just does not look right. You may feel that something is off, and you are not getting perfectly symmetrical eyebrows. This is completely normal and even the best in the business advise us that eyebrows are like sisters and not twins. The right and left eyebrow is unlikely to look exactly the same. After plucking remove stray eyebrow hairs away with a cloth or cotton pad.
- Sometimes eyebrows can get a little long in the length and might benefit from a little trim. This might sound scary, but there is a simple method to trimming eyebrows. Just remember that less is more and take your time when trimming them. The odd stray long hair can just be trimmed off individually. Overly bushy eyebrows can be ageing, so a little trim can help to keep a youthful looking appearance. Take your spoolie eyebrow tool and brush the hairs upwards as much as possible. Then take the scissors and trim a tiny amount from the length from the arch onwards towards your ear. Then repeat on the other side and be sure to match the amount of hair that you trim off on both sides of the face. You are just trimming the edges really, by going round the beautiful arch of your eyebrow. Take care not to cut too much off because sometimes longer hairs can be quite handy, because they actually fill in your brows is you have patchy areas. There are also many eyebrow shaving tools that can be set to different mm lengths depending on length preference, such as 2mm or 4mm. They can then be swept over the whole eyebrow area and trim the brows to a uniform length all over. They are quick and easy to use, and you do not need to worry about making mistakes.
- Once you have your brows in the perfect shape you might be interested in colouring them. For this we recommend a natural eyebrow colour tool. There are many to choose from including pencils, wax and powder kits plus mascara type products. You can also get a home dye kit for more long-lasting colour. If you prefer this option then we recommend trying to find a natural one and always carrying out a patch test before using a dye, even if you have used it before. Always apply a barrier on the skin around the eyebrow hair and take extra care when applying the dye, to apply it to the right area. It is not a job that should be carried out in a hurry. Colour wise it is generally best to pick a shade that is slightly darker than your natural colour. Pencils are ideal for adding colour to eyebrows and filling in any sparse patches. This is because you can draw in very precisely and kind of mimic the look of real hairs with pencil lines. Go minimal with the product for a natural look and take the time to perfect it. Once the brows are all pencilled in then brush the whole area with a spoolie to ensure the pencil is nicely blended in. There is no need to buy a spoolie as an old mascara wand that has been cleaned will generally do the trick. For a completely natural look then try a clear eyebrow gel that just works to keep the eyebrows looking neat and glossy.
- Now that your brows are looking amazing move onto your skin care with Nakin’s range for beautiful fresh natural skin with the products listed below.
- Our natural Advanced Cleansing Milk removes make-up and daily dirt morning and evening, while being kind and without stripping skin. This is perfect for exfoliating skin using a muslin cloth to prepare before plucking eyebrows. It is kind to skin so there is no need to worry about the delicate skin around the eyes becoming irritated.
- After the cleansing milk would be the natural Purifying Face Toner to remove the last traces of cleanser, revive and detox skin.
- The natural Performance Face Serum helps with lines, UV damage and an uneven skin tone on the face and neck.
- The natural Revitalising Face Oil is another face treatment product which calms, conditions and energises skin with plant oils.
- The natural Eye Cream Complex gives the skin around eyes silky soft hydration and combats dark circles, wrinkles and puffing. You can use this all over the eye area including over large crows’ feet and right up to the eyebrows.
- Our natural Matt Formula Face Cream is a moisturiser for oily, normal, combination and sensitive skin. It provides long lasting smooth hydration without greasiness.
- The natural Active Dew Face Cream is for dry, normal, combination and sensitive skin. It gives a dewier finish with a long-lasting formula.
- The natural Lip Treatment Balm softens, hydrates and comforts even dry lips with plant oils and butters.
- Your face and eyebrows should now be looking fabulous, conditioned glowing and full of life. You might even feel the need to go bare faced without any make-up. Or if you do prefer to apply make-up, then using our anti-ageing skincare means that your skin is perfectly primed for any products applied afterwards.
We hope that you found our feature helpful about how to shape your eyebrows yourself in the comfort of your own home. Taking time to get the perfect shape for your eyebrows can really transform your look and is well worth putting the effort in. A good eyebrow shape really is one of the best ways to boost our look easily and affordably. Of course, great eyebrows are just one element to having a great natural look. Other elements include a good diet, hydration and great sleep. The important thing is to always use the best skincare products.
Nakin are dedicated to achieving beautiful skin at every age using the best natural ingredients. To find out more about Nakin and our award winning anti-ageing skincare then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com Nakin produce natural face products for all skin types, including sensitive skin. The full range can be found here and is designed to help skin to thrive and flourish by using the best plant active ingredients. Everything is cruelty free and made in the UK. If you would like to get in touch with Nakin then please email us at email@example.com We would love to hear your thoughts and are also available to offer skincare and product advice.