The question of how to layer face products is something that we get asked a lot, and we know can be very confusing. In the last century skincare was very simple and involved the essential 3 steps of cleansing, toning and moisturising. These days though there are so many different skincare products available now including a different serum for every skin concern as well as primers, oils, waters, essences, face creams and tinted moisturisers. It is confusing on which product to apply and in which order. You might also wonder how can you layer all your skincare and makeup without your skin looking oily and everything just slipping off anyway.
At Nakin we believe in a simple easy skincare routine and that is why we have eight essential products. You should not need a different serum for hydration, lines, wrinkles and pigmentation. In our anti-ageing skincare range we just have one multi-purpose serum that is packed with masses of plant actives to help with a multitude of skin concerns. We have outlined a guide below that explains how to layer face care products. It can be used with our natural skincare and other beauty products as well. Follow the steps below for easy face care layering.
- Tie hair back to prevent it from getting greasy.
- Only use a small amount of each product, as the best face products will glide easily onto skin and you will not need much of them, as they are packed with amazing ingredients.
- Follow the correct order of applying skincare products - which is cleansing, toning, serum, oil, eye cream, face cream and lastly lip balm. Using face cream after all the face treatments will seal the goodness from the serum and oil into skin.
- If you are using high quality face products then at Nakin we do not believe that you need a primer, as good treatments and face creams will smooth skin out beautifully, without the need for an additional primer base.
- Leave a minute between each layer and applying the next one, to allow skin to adjust and for it to dry.
So, to summarise, the trick to layering face products effectively is to have a simple routine without masses of products, then to apply only a small amount of each product and to leave some time before applying the next product. We recommend at least a minute between each step, including cleansing and toning. This might seem like a lot of time to dedicate to skincare; however, you can do many things in between applying a product such as brushing your hair, getting dressed and putting your jewellery on. It is worth spending time on your face routine and your skin will thank you for it.
Many beauty experts are big fans of layering and it is nothing to worry as long as your face products are good quality and not too rich and sticky. The best serums will be one that does offer some hydration but is also easily absorbed into skin. Layering face products is also something not to overthink, as your gut instincts usually tell you if something is right, and each face product is very different in terms of consistency, ability and the unique directions. Some routines like the Korean skincare method have a multi-step approach which is followed by many people. But some of us do not have the time to take part in a 10-step skin routine in the morning and evening. So layer the face products that work for you and your lifestyle plus your individual skin requirements and concerns. The layering of face products will also depend on your skin type and environment, as oilier skin may struggle with many layers of hydrating products. However, skin that is dry from the heating or the weather will benefit from many hydrating layers of face products. So, do what works for you and as long as the face products that you are using contain excellent natural ingredients, your skin will be receiving good nourishment. Just one thing to mention, although we do not recommend using synthetic vitamin C and retinol on the face and neck as they can cause irritation, if you do use them then only apply them at night.
For more information about the order to apply the face product layers then read the below:
- Begin your routine with cleansing using a face product like our Advanced Cleansing Milk which is a fresh comforting anti-ageing face cleanser and packed with natural oils and extracts.
- After the cleansing milk it is time to tone skin using a natural product like our Purifying Face Toner, which acts as a double cleanse to remove any last traces of cleanser, detox and prepare skin for the actives applied after toning.
- The next layer is the face treatments like serums and oils, which can be layered on in the right order. Serum is applied first as it contains the most potent actives to correct skin and these can reach deeper levels of skin. For an uplifting natural anti-ageing treatment use our Performance Face Serum to smooth and repair skin. The next layer after serum is using a calming nourishing face oil like our Revitalising Face Oil.
- Eye cream is the next layer. The eyes are very sensitive so skin around the eyes benefits from a special springy reviving fragrance free formula like our Eye Cream Complex.
- The next layer is face cream and this will seal in the treatments as well as provide hydration, protection and nutrients. It is important to use a face cream moisturiser that suits your skin type as it can really make a difference to skin; oily and dry skin have different needs. If you have more dry, combination or normal skin then treat it to intense hydration and a beautiful long-lasting dewy glow with our Active Dew Face Cream. If your skin is oilier, combination or normal and you prefer a more matt look, then moisturise skin with our Matt Formula Face Cream.
- The very final layer is the lips which really benefit for a gorgeous hydrating plumping product like our Lip Treatment Balm.
To find out more about Nakin then take a look at our face products here and more information about us as a brand at www.nakinskincare.com The full award-winning skincare range is made in the UK and cruelty free.