Lines around the mouth can be caused by many things. We all get them to some extent as the years go by; and genetics will play a role in this, plus there are certain lifestyle factors that can exacerbate them. This includes sun damage, smoking, diet and skincare. We also lose collagen and volume in the face as we age, which increases the lines on our face. The good news is that there are plenty of things that we can do to try to get rid of lines around the mouth. At Nakin we dedicate our work to producing amazing natural skincare, so all our methods to reduce lines around the mouth are also natural. Our anti-ageing skincare is packed with the best plant actives to help with signs of skin ageing, including lines and wrinkles. We know that lines around the mouth are not the end of the world, but it is nice to have our skin looking as good as possible, which can help with our confidence. There are also lots of easy ways to improve lines around the mouth, read on to find out more.
9 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Lines Around the Mouth
Take a look at our list below for easy ways to get rid of lines around the mouth.
- Applying amazing natural skincare with topical nutrients to ease lines.
- Preventing premature ageing caused by sun damage.
- Reducing stress, which is a big cause of skin ageing.
- Using facial exercises to tone up skin.
- Using facial massage techniques to condition skin.
- Eating the right diet for a youthful complexion.
- Drinking enough water to hydrate and plump skin.
- Stopping smoking to prevent facial lines.
- Getting more beauty sleep for great skin.
A Natural Skincare Programme for Lines Around the Mouth
- Cleansing is very important for youthful skin and our anti-ageing Advanced Cleansing Milk £15 for 150ml removes make-up and grime, while being kind and conditioning to skin. The plant oils and seaweed are perfect to cleanse and condition skin at the same time. Cleansing is an essential part of keeping skin looking as fresh and line free as possible, as otherwise skin gets a build-up of grime and dead skin cells. This can make skin look dull and tired, as well as preventing the skin treatments applied after cleansing from working properly.
- Follow cleansing with our anti-ageing Purifying Face Toner £15 for 150ml that removes the last traces of cleanser, revives and detoxes; plus prepares skin to be most receptive to the actives applied after cleansing. Its power comes from seaweed, hyaluronic acid and natural botanicals. It is also perfect as a double cleanse, but without stripping skin.
- Our anti-ageing Performance Face Serum £25 for 50ml is a hero in helping with lines around the mouth and all over the face, as well as sun damage and an uneven skin tone. It is packed with powerful plant extracts like line smoothing hibiscus, plumping hyaluronic acid and powerful antioxidants such as pomegranate, for all around skin enhancement. The hibiscus is one of the best natural anti-wrinkle ingredients that can be used in skincare.
- Our anti-ageing Revitalising Face Oil £22 for 50ml is another face treatment product, which you can also massage into the face using hands or a facial massage tool. It calms, conditions and energises skin with the best plant oils like argan, baobab and peach kernel oil. These skin loving oils are non-clogging to skin, and it is great to also use for a skin boosting facial massage.
- If you have lines around the mouth, you may also have lines around the eyes. The anti-ageing Eye Cream Complex £18 for 15ml gives the skin around eyes silky soft hydration and combats dark circles, wrinkles and puffing. This is from an array of plant extracts for an amazing natural eye treatment. This also includes hibiscus, which is a superb natural anti-wrinkle ingredient to help with lines around the eyes and crows’ feet.
- Our anti-ageing Matt Formula Face Cream £20 for 50ml is a moisturiser for oily, normal, combination and sensitive skin. It is also great as a foundation base and provides long lasting smooth hydration without greasiness. This is from the special blend of plant actives to hydrate, condition and protect skin from things like pollution. Skin is left soft, smooth and fresh. The protection properties and intense antioxidant blend help to also prevent lines around the mouth.
- The anti-ageing Active Dew Face Cream £20 for 15ml is for dry, normal, combination and sensitive skin. This is the best face cream if you have drier skin, or like a rich cream and dewy finish. It is a cult favourite with customers and is a real treat for the face and neck with sublime moisture, nutrients and protection. Skin is left feeling soft, dewy and conditioned. The protection properties and intense antioxidant blend help to also prevent lines around the mouth.
- Our anti-ageing Lip Treatment Balm £10 for 15ml softens, hydrates and comforts even very dry lips. It is full of the best plant butters and oils like argan, baobab, mint and shea butter for a luxurious plumping lip boost. This lip balm will also help with lines on the mouth that are very close to the lip area. The lovely thing about this lip balm is that it hydrates, smooths lines and plumps but without a glossy finish, and it also makes the perfect smoothing base for coloured lip products.
Reducing Stress to Prevent Lines & Wrinkles
Stress has a big effect on the amount of lines that we have on our face, as when we are stressed we tend to frown and tense our face into unpleasant movements. This can be alleviated by de-stressing, so take some time to manage stress in your life. Tried and tested de-stress methods include taking time out to do things that make you happy, and exercise is probably the best method. Try to include exercise in your weekly routine with activities such as walking, yoga, swimming, cycling, yoga or cardio work.
Reducing Sun Damage to Prevent Lines & Wrinkles
Sun damage is proven as a one of the biggest contributors to skin ageing. So always cover up with hats, and five-star UVA and UVB protection on the face, body and the lips. Take care to cover every bit of skin including between the mouth and the nose, plus the skin all around the lips.
Facial Yoga to Reduce Lines Around the Mouth
Like the rest of our body our face can be exercised and toned up. So, try these facial yoga exercises to help get rid of lines around the mouth. It is common to have lines above the lips and in the area between the nose and the mouth. These are especially prevalent in smokers, but we can all get them. An easy exercise for this is put your upper and lower lips over your teeth as much as possible and very firmly, so you cannot see your lips. Keep the rest of the face relaxed so there are no frown lines anywhere and remember to breath. Then hold this position and turn your left slowly to the right, and then to the left. Repeat this on each side five times, plus continue this exercise daily. Next to tone up is the lines either side of the mouth and below the lips, these can be close to the lips and then also seen in the smile lines. Close your mouth and then blow out the cheeks and the area above and below the lips. The look is a bit like a pufferfish. Repeat five times each day and remember to keep the face relaxed.
Using Facial Massage to Help with Facial Lines
Facial massage can be incredibly anti-ageing to the face, and this includes the lines around my lips, above the chin and the laughter nasolabial lines. Start by using a small amount of oil, and our anti-ageing Revitalising Face Oil is perfect for this. It is full of anti-ageing plant ingredients and also helps hands to glide easily on skin during a facial massage. Then once applied use the first two fingers of each hand and start by pressing with the finger pads all over the mouth area above the lips, below the lips and by the sides of the lips. Then using the same fingers make upward sweeping movements all over the same area. Finish by using both hands and all the fingers to tap the skin all over the area. Micro needling is also becoming a popular way to reduce lines. It is natural but involves massaging a roller with fine needles over the face, so it needs to be considered before using it.
Eating the Right Skin Loving Foods to Prevent Lines & Wrinkles
Diet can play a huge role in how our skin looks. Sugar and alcohol are ageing to skin, but there are also many superfoods that help to keep skin looking youthful and line free. Healthline advise that the ten best anti-ageing foods for skin are watercress, red pepper, blueberries, broccoli, spinach, nuts, avocado, sweet potato and pomegranate seeds. Try to include these in your diet as much as possible. If you find it hard to eat them on their own then try adding them to smoothies, soups, stews and pies.
Drinking Water to Keep the Face Plump
Staying hydrated helps reduce lines around the mouth because drinking lots of water gives skin moisture, which stops it drying out and helps improve skin elasticity and plumpness. As we age skin starts to dry out which causes lines, so drinking lots of water helps to keep skin hydrated inside and out, which helps to plump skin out.
Stopping Smoking to Prevent Lines Around the Mouth
Most smokers will start to notice pronounced lines around the mouth as the years go by. Harper’s Bazaar Magazine advise that lines around the mouth are formed in much the same way as lines seen around the eyes and forehead. They are mostly caused by muscle movement, which is why people with expressive faces tend to have lines on their face. Every time a muscle on the face contracts to form an expression the skin is affected, so repetitive movements can cause permanent lines. Smokers' lines develop around the mouth due to the puckering of the lips when drawing the cigarette in. Smoking has lots of other negative effects on our health, so giving up is always a good idea. There is lots of medical help available to make the process as achievable as possible.
Getting More Sleep for Great Skin
Good quality sleep helps us to get great looking skin, and that is why it is also known as beauty sleep. Skin renews and repairs itself more while we are asleep. So, lack of sleep stops it looking as good as it can. When we are tired our skin and lines always looks worse than when we have had a good night’s rest. The solution is to prioritise sleep to improve skin and many other aspects of our life.
Cosmetic Ways to Get Rid of Lines Around the Mouth
So far in the article we have looked at natural ways to reduce lines around the mouth. There are also some intense and more severe ways to get rid of lines around the mouth, by using cosmetic and aesthetic procedures. This is not something that we recommend as at Nakin we believe in a natural healthy lifestyle, and keeping skin looking as good as it can with the best skincare products that are natural and anti-ageing. However, we felt that we should mention some of the cosmetic ways to get rid of wrinkles around the mouth. This includes the below:
- Chemical peels that remove the top layer of your skin.
- Dermabrasion and microdermabrasion which are intense exfoliation methods.
- Dermal fillers which inject ingredients like hyaluronic acid and poly-L-lactic acid directly into the face and ease lines around the month for a few months.
- Botox which is one of the most famous cosmetic procedures and is injected into skin to make wrinkles smooth.
- Laser skin resurfacing which involves beams of laser light that are used to remove the outer layer of your skin.
- Facelifts are still used but have moved on a lot from when they were first popular in the last century, and have a variety of forms.
- Retinol is not always a cosmetic procedure as it is often found in over the counter skincare products, although the high strength formulas need to be prescribed. It is a powerful ingredient that has been proven to help reduce lines and wrinkles. However, it can cause irritation and sensitivity to skin.
The cosmetic procedure world is a fast-moving sector, and there are likely to be additional methods to get rid of lines around the mouth.
We hope that you found our feature on getting rid of the lines around the mouth helpful. To find out more about Nakin and our award winning anti-ageing skincare then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com Nakin produce natural face products for all skin types, including sensitive skin. The full range can be found here and is designed to help skin to thrive and flourish by using the best plant active ingredients. Everything is cruelty free and made in the UK.