How To Get Rid Of Age Spots
Dark spots, age spots, brown spots, liver spots, sun spots and dark patches; whatever you like to call them, they are not the of best things to see on your face. If you do not know what we mean by any of these words, then be thankful, but read on to find out how to prevent them; plus if you have them, the best way to get rid of them, using products like our award winning natural anti-ageing skincare.
Probably on par with deep wrinkles as something we would rather not see when we look in the mirror, is age spots. But the good news is that there is a lot that can be done to improve the look of them, and more importantly they are harmless. The most scientific term for age spots is lentigines, and they show up because they are flat and darker than the surrounding skin. They resemble freckles but can be a tan colour, brown and even black. They range in size from a couple of millimeters, to a couple of centimeters.
They arise on the parts of our skin that have had the most contact with the sun. This is why they mostly appear on the face, and on the back of hands. Usually they start to show up in our forties, but it can be a lot earlier, especially if skin has been exposed to a lot of sun. Although like most things, some people are just prone to them genetically.
Age spots are a result of the body producing excess melanin, as melanin is the pigment that gives skin its colour. Melanin is made by pigment cells called melanocytes, they produce melanin to soak up UV radiation. So our skin produces melanin when it is exposed to the sun, as a way of protecting it from the UV rays. This is why we tan when we are out in the sun, and the deepness of our tan depend on how much melanin is produced by the skin. Sometimes an excess of melanin in the skin comes together, and this causes the age spots.
How To Get Rid of Age Spots
There are three important steps to take, one is prevention, so as the cause of age spots is sunlight, sun protection is the best defense. The second is treating and repairing skin using high quality active skincare like the Nakin anti-ageing skincare range. A lot of people want to know how to get rid of age spots fast. There are lots of invasive and chemical aesthetic treatments available that offer this; like chemical peels, microdermabrasion, skin lightening products and lasers. But at Nakin we prefer to look at the best way to get rid of age spots naturally. If after trying prevention and repair the age spots have not all disappeared or reduced enough, then the other option is camouflaging them with make-up.
Age Spot Prevention
- The best way to prevent age spots is to not expose skin to the sun. Of course this is impossible, we need our vitamin D requirements, but we should cover up most of the time, and always in strong sunshine. So wear hats, long tops and trousers.
- For skin that is exposed to the sun, using ultraviolet protection is essential, to protect against UVA and UVB wavelengths. The British Association of Dermatologists recommend a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 as a satisfactory form of sun protection; in addition to protective shade and clothing. They also recommend ensuring that our SPF protects against both UVA and UVB wavelengths, with at least a four-star rating. Don’t forget to cover all areas of the body with sunscreen, as the backs of the hands and the feet often get forgotten.
- After skin has been in the sun, apply lots of natural goodness back into the skin to reduce the amount of damage. We recommend organic Aloe Vera for the body, and our 100% natural face oil.
- If you do love a tan, then opt for a natural fake sun tan. There are many good options around, as advancements in this area have been huge in recent years.
Treatment for Age Spots
Great skincare can really help to reduce the look of age spots. Following the steps below will help to get rid of age spots, for healthy looking skin. Our cruelty free skincare range has been specially developed to assist skin to be as smooth, even and beautiful as it can be. Try following the two steps below to treat age spots, and for all round glowing skin.
- Effective cleansing is the foundation of all good skincare. Try our gorgeous natural face cleanser and exfoliate with it weekly, to remove dead skin cells. Exfoliate using a luke warm muslin cloth, and removing the cleanser with small circular movements, using clean parts of the cloth. Pay extra attention to the age spots, so they receive more intense exfoliation, follow with our natural face toner.
- After cleansing treat skin with one of the best face serum’s available like our Nakin Performance Face Serum. It’s been specially designed to effectively repair skin, with the best potent natural actives available in skincare. Use it morning and evening, and pay special attention to age spots and other problem areas.
Camouflaging Age Spots
- If the age spots are not disappearing fast enough, or are too stubborn, then make-up can be a good option to hide them. Follow the steps below for long lasting camouflage.
- Use a good primer like our Matt Formula Face Cream. It works well as a gorgeous base under make-up, as it’s very hydrating without being greasy.
- Dab concealer onto the age spots, and other areas that would benefit from a cover up. Build up as required.
- Apply foundation onto the skin.
- Finish with a translucent powder to set the make-up, and keep it in place for longer.
Lastly, it’s important to remember that even though we often see a tan as being healthy, when skin is tanned by the sun, it shows that our skin has been damaged by ultra violet radiation, because it started producing melanin. Sun damage is well known to increase the risk of developing skin cancer. As mentioned age spots are harmless. But it is best to consult a doctor if there are marks on your skin that you are unsure of. Some of the things to look out for are if marks have dark pigmentation, increases in size, unusual colours; or if it is red, itching, tender or bleeding. If in doubt about anything on your skin, it is always best to consult a doctor as quickly as possible. They can examine skin with powerful magnifiers, and carry out tests where needed.
Leave a comment