How To Apply Sunscreen
We all know how important sunscreen is to protect our skin from the sun. At Nakin we love all things natural, and nothing makes us happier than when the sun shines. Unfortunately though the UV rays can be damaging to our skin. Sun exposure is thought to be the biggest cause of premature skin ageing and is also behind skin cancer, which is much more serious. Even the best skincare products can never fully reverse the damage that the sun can do to our skin, and we owe it to ourselves to keep healthy. So, to keep us staying healthy and looking great we need to protect our skin from the sun. One of the best ways to protect skin is by covering it up with clothes, hats and sunglasses. But unless we cover up head to toe then applying sunscreen is the best option to keep our skin safe. Read on to find out how to apply it properly.
Before moving onto the application, the first step is to get a good sunscreen. At Nakin we recommend using a natural sunscreen that is separate to your face cream and has a high SPF. This is the best way to get full protection. As natural skincare lovers we believe that natural sunscreen is better for skin, as it does not contain the controversial chemicals that are found in many synthetic sunscreens. Instead, a natural sun cream will protect skin by blocking out the sun’s rays with minerals like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, or both together. Then we should remember that sunscreens and face creams are two very separate products with completely distinct functions, and this is why we do not use sunscreen in Nakin’s face creams. A sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before going out into the sun, and not when face creams are applied, which tend not to always coincide with 30 minutes before going out in the sun. High sun protection factor products will provide skin with more protection. The American Academy of Dermatology recommend applying a sunscreen with at least SPF 30. There is so much choice of sunscreen now available and it is best to use a high-quality broad spectrum one that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.
To provide guidance on how to apply sunscreen we took advice from the UK National Health Service which offer expert health advice that is regularly reviewed. Here are the details of the best way to apply sunscreen for adults.
- Use 2 teaspoons of sunscreen when we just need to cover the main exposed areas of head, arms, neck and the back of hands.
- If only wearing a bathing suit, then 2 tablespoons should be enough to cover the entire body.
- Apply the sunscreen so it is not too thin, as this will lower the amount of protection.
- If you use SPF30 and feel it is not enough, then purchase sunscreen with a higher SPF.
- On occasions when you will be exposed to the sun for long periods and there is a risk of burning, then apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out and then again just before actually going out.
- Ensure that the sunscreen is applied to all exposed skin. This includes the face, neck and ears, feet and head where hair is thinning, although wide-brimmed hats are a preference here.
- Always re-apply sunscreen and make the application liberally and frequently, plus in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. This includes applying it straight after being in water, as even when a product states it is water resistant it can still come off when we sweat or dry ourselves with a towel.
We hope that you found our feature on how to apply sunscreen helpful. It is such an essential part of our beauty and health regime that it is important to get it right. It also means that we can enjoy being out in the sun. To find out more about Nakin take a look at our anti-ageing skincare range which includes everything needed for an effective face care routine.
Leave a comment