Over the last few years, we could not fail to see the rise of derma rolling, and every time we hear about it, we always wonder more about it. So, we wanted to investigate if derma rolling actually works as an anti-ageing device. At Nakin we dedicate our work to producing amazing anti-ageing skincare. We must be honest though and say that we were too scared to try it ourselves, so our information has come from beauty experts who have tried derma rolling for significant periods of time.
At Nakin we believe in beautifying the skin with plant extracts in natural skincare. We know that derma rolling does not involve using any chemicals on skin, however, it does require invasive methods of rolling fine needles on the face, so it is not something that we cannot be sure about using. Please note that in this article we are not advocating the use of derma rolling and we are quite cautious of it. This is because we know that it can cause redness and irritation to skin, which we never believe is a good thing. We know that many people love it and swear by it, so if you love derma rolling and it works for you then we are not trying to advise against it. Although it is not recommended for anyone with sensitive skin, or skin conditions such as eczema. We just wanted to find out more about it and share some of our findings for those that are thinking about it. Instead of carrying out derma rolling on ourselves, we did a lot of research on beauty experts and bloggers that have used it to find out their opinion.
Derma rolling involves a small hand-held roller that is covered in many tiny needles which are rolled over the face. Each device will have its own instructions that need to be followed and different size needles have different benefits for skin. The general aim of derma rolling is to increase collagen synthesis, to heal scars, large pores and to aid skin toning. It can also help face products to perform better on skin as they are more easily absorbed.
When we were researching if derma rolling works, we found a great feature by a lovely influencer called hot and flashy, where a derma roller was tested on the back of one of her hands for 11 months. This is interesting as the skin on hands generally shows its age more than other areas and it makes it extremely easy to compare the hand treated with the derma rolling to the one with no treatment.
During the 11 months of use the derma rolling instructions were followed and the device was used regularly. The tester did stop using it for short periods, but only when her hand became too irritated. The end results were that the hand treated to 11 months of derma rolling did show improvements, this was in the way that it looked at the end of the experiment. There was no change to things like the visibility of veins, as you would expect. However, there was a difference to the lines with the skin looking slightly less crepey. The tester definitely saw a small change, but it was not a huge change that took years off. She also commented that it was not an enjoyable experience, as using the derma roller was quite sore on skin and left it irritated, so she was quite pleased to end the experience. That said she felt that it is an inexpensive anti-ageing tool, that did show some benefits.
It was great to find this experiment which we felt was an honest review, over a long period. Of course, it was not in a clinical scientific setting. We did see lots of before and after shots of derma rolling, but some of the images did not look a great comparison, with different lighting on the before and after shot. It is also hard to know if any other treatment was being used at the same time as the derma rolling.
We hope that you found this feature helpful. To find out more about Nakin and our natural anti-ageing skincare then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com The full range is made in the UK and cruelty free. It includes everything that you need for a face care regime with the products below.
- Our anti-ageing Advanced Cleansing Milk £15 for 150ml removes make-up and grime, while being kind and without stripping skin. The plant oils and seaweed are perfect to cleanse and condition skin at the same time. To exfoliate skin simply remove the cleansing milk with a lukewarm muslin cloth in circular motions.
- The anti-ageing Purifying Face Toner £15 for 150ml removes the last traces of cleanser, revives and detoxes; plus prepares skin to be most receptive to the actives applied after cleansing. It is also perfect as a double cleanse, but without stripping skin.
- Our anti-ageing Performance Face Serum £25 for 50ml is a hero in helping with lines, sun damage and an uneven skin tone. It is packed with powerful plant extracts for all around skin enhancement.
- Our anti-ageing Revitalising Face Oil £22 for 50ml is another face treatment product which you can massage into the face using hands or a facial massage tool. It calms, conditions and energises skin with the best plant oils.
- The anti-ageing Eye Cream Complex £18 for 15ml gives the skin around eyes silky soft hydration and combats dark circles, wrinkles and puffing. This is from an array of plant extracts for an amazing natural eye treatment.
- Our anti-ageing Matt Formula Face Cream £20 for 50ml is a moisturiser for oily, normal, combination and sensitive skin. It is also great as a foundation base and provides long lasting smooth hydration without greasiness.
- The anti-ageing Active Dew Face Cream £20 for 15ml is for dry, normal, combination and sensitive skin. This is the best face cream if you have drier skin, or like a rich cream and dewy finish.
- Our anti-ageing Lip Treatment Balm £10 for 15ml softens, hydrates and comforts even very dry lips. It is full of the best plant butters and oils for a luxurious plumping lip boost.