We all prefer to look good for our age, and this is achievable with the right lifestyle and skincare measures. If our skin looks older or younger than it should for our age, then it is mostly down to our lifestyle. As with the rest of our body, our skin has a biological age that is often different to our real skin age. The good news is that although we cannot do anything about our real age, there is lots that we can do about our biological skin age.
Genetics do play a part in how good our skin looks; however, this only accounts for a small amount of how our skin ages. The Dermatology Times state that skin ageing that is from DNA and genes accounts for about 10 percent of skin ageing. The rest is due to extrinsic factors. We tend to thank our family members for our good skin. However, it might be more likely that you have good skin as we have followed a similar lifestyle to them. At Nakin we are dedicated to producing amazing anti-ageing skincare that helps skin to look as good as it can naturally. Nakin’s Natural Skincare helps to protect against and ease the key signs of skin ageing including an uneven skin tone, dullness, enlarged pores, lines, wrinkles, crows feet, dehydration, blackheads, sagging, puffy eyes and dark circles.
One of the biggest ageing factors of skin is due to a reduction in collagen production as we get older. In general, the skin of females ages faster than that of males, due to our collagen production dropping earlier with the menopause. The other big factors that affect collagen production and add years onto our biological skin age are listed below. On the flip side, positive lifestyle measures help with collagen production and to keep skin years younger than it really is.
Factors That Increase Our Biological Skin Age
- Sun damage is the main cause of premature skin ageing.
- Likewise, using tanning beds and booths is also very damaging to skin.
- Living a high stress life contributes to skin ageing.
- Lack of sleep will always leave skin looking worse for wear.
- Living an inactive lifestyle affects skin and our overall health.
- Eating lots of processed food, sugar and alcohol causes inflammation in the skin.
- Smoking is a big no no for skin.
- Not drinking enough water causes dehydration.
- Not following a good skincare regime prevents skin looking its best.
Factors That Decrease Our Biological Skin Age
- Wearing SPF sunscreen effectively protects skin from the sun.
- Using good anti-ageing skincare helps to keep skin fresh, hydrated and plump.
- Getting good and deep sleep is great for youthful skin.
- Eating healthily to ensure that you have all the required nutrients, vitamins and minerals helps skin to look great.
- Exercising plays an important role in how our skin looks.
- Not smoking is something your skin and body will always thank you for.
- Reducing processed foods, sugar and alcohol helps skin to look youthful.
- Drinking the right amount of water hydrates our systems and keeps skin looking great.
So, if you would like youthful bouncy looking skin, then take care to adopt the factors that decrease the biological age of our skin. It is never too late to start. Remember though that there will not be any instant transformations, skin ages gradually and lifestyle changes will also improve skin over time. But imagine how much better your skin will look in a few months and further in the future.
We hope that you found this feature helpful, and it makes it easy to see how our lifestyle can affect our biological skin age. You could be using the best skincare products around like Nakin’s but our lifestyle in terms of what we consume, our fitness and sleeping habits, plus the way we look after our skin plays a huge role in how old our skin looks.