Beauty Sleep Benefits
Life is busy and we often have to prioritise how we spend our time. With so much to do it is easy to reduce the amount we sleep in order to fit all of our other activities in. However, sleeping well is essential to good health and has many benefits to our looks as well. In this feature we investigate the benefits of beauty sleep.
The truth about sleep is that it’s essential to our physical and mental wellbeing. At Nakin we are ambassadors of a natural lifestyle and healthy living. We focus our work on producing the best natural anti-ageing skincare possible for great skin at every age. Great skin is achieved through a variety of natural lifestyle measures and getting good sleep is important. Sleep benefits our health and looks in many ways and keeps us looking fresh and youthful. As well as keeping our skin looking as best it can, it also plays a huge role in our overall health and wellbeing. This means that when we get good sleep, we feel good, and when we feel good, we tend to also look good.
The Benefits of Sleep
We have looked into the many benefits of sleep and particularly regarding how it helps us to stay looking well. Most of our information is from general research into sleep and from Very Well Health. During sleep our whole body goes into repair mode and all sorts of important hormonal and metabolic changes occur in the body.
- Good sleep puts a spring in our step, and we feel alive and energised. When we sleep properly, we look well rested and attractive as our face is more relaxed, instead of tense and stressed.
- Our cells go into high repair mode during sleep to undo the damage caused by stress and ultraviolet rays. The cells produce more protein when we are sleeping. These protein molecules form the building blocks for cells, allowing them to repair the damage.
- Good sleep can make us look younger as it reduces inflammation in the body. This is incredibly anti-ageing as inflammation is thought to cause the body to deteriorate.
- Healthline report that just one night of bad sleep can exaggerate beauty concerns such as droopy eyelids, swollen eyes, paler skin, lines, wrinkles and sagging by the corners of the mouth. Of course, we can apply face products to give topical support and repair to skin such as our Nakin Anti-Ageing Face Serum. However, sleep will have a big impact in keeping our face and neck looking well and rested.
- Sleep can help with dark circles under the eye as lack of sleep causes blood vessels to dilate causing the look of dark circles. Nakin’s Anti-Ageing Eye Cream also works to improve dark circles, puffing and lines.
- Sleep helps to keep blood pressure at a good level because when your body is sleep deficient, it goes into a state of stress. The body's functions are put on high alert, which causes high blood pressure and the production of stress hormones. Lack of sleep is also linked to problems such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Sleep helps us to process our lives and feelings so is important for our mental wellbeing. Sleep impacts many of the chemicals in our body such as our feel-good hormone serotonin, and deficiencies can cause depression.
- The right amount of sleep helps to keep our weight down. Researchers found that people who have fewer hours sleep per night are more likely to be overweight or obese. It is thought that a lack of sleep impacts the balance of hormones in the body that affect appetite. This made sense as we do tend to crave comfort foods when we are tired.
How Much Sleep Do I Need for Good Skin?
This is a hard question as we are all so unique, and we all need different amounts of sleep. Very Well Health state that when people get less than 6 to 7 hours of sleep each night, they are at a greater risk of developing diseases. They recommend 7 to 9 hours of sleep, and our research also indicates that this is the optimum amount of beauty sleep. Everyone’s sleep needs are different though. We also need to be careful not to oversleep as this is not beneficial to our health and looks. Huffington Post say that getting too much sleep can cause skin cells to break down too quickly, and this may cause some of the beauty problems that arise from not getting enough sleep. They also state that like many things in life, the quality is just as important as the quantity of sleep.
How to Get the Best Beauty Sleep
You may already have an excellent night time routine, but if not then follow these tips for a good night sleep.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every night, as your system will get into a routine. We should then feel tired at the same time every night and naturally fall asleep.
- Getting out and about in daylight really helps as our body knows the difference between night and day.
- The website Sleep advise that exercise and physical activity improve sleep quality and length, as well as reducing stress and tiring us out.
- Avoid gadgets and tv before bed as the Sleep Foundation state that electronic devices delay the body's circadian rhythm. This in turn reduces the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin, so it is harder to fall asleep.
- Make your bedroom a sanctuary with a good bed, relaxing colours and no work materials.
- Try to do something relaxing before bedtime to chill the body out such as having a bath, yoga, meditation or reading a book.
- If you have sleep problems then seek professional advice and ask about natural therapies that can help such as acupuncture, herbal supplements and hypnotherapy.
We hope you found our beauty sleep article useful. At Nakin we believe that a natural lifestyle is hugely beneficial to looking and feeling fabulous. Our anti-ageing skincare also keeps skin looking smooth and fresh with powerful plant actives and includes everything that you need for a face care regime. The ethical range is all cruelty free and made in the UK. Find out more about Nakin at www.nakinskincare.com
Leave a comment