Witch hazel may be a well-known plant species, but it is definitely an underappreciated one. Especially when it comes to how good witch hazel is for our skin. Witch hazel is mostly known as a topical skin astringent and this medicinal plant has benefits for skin in all sorts of way. Witch hazel is extracted from the hamamelis virginiana tree and used in all sorts of skincare products. It’s an ancient skin remedy and has been used for centuries for a variety of therapeutic purposes. The top ten ways that witch hazel is good for skin when used topically includes:
- Witch hazel is an excellent natural skin cleanser
- It brightens eyes, de-puffs and reduces under eye circles
- It reduces redness on skin
- Witch hazel soothes inflammation
- It heals cuts
- Witch hazel helps to calm itchy skin
- It can close pores on the skin
- It can balance the pH of skin
- Witch hazel reduces swelling
- It helps to keep skin looking fresh and youthful
Why Witch Hazel Is Good for Skin
We can better understand how witch hazel is good for skin by looking at its chemical make-up and the properties of this. The main components of witch hazel extract that help skin are antioxidants including tannins, and this has the astringent properties. Therefore, witch hazel is able to ease many ailments including itching, swelling, inflammation, skin injury, varicose veins, bruises, spots and other skin irritations.
- Witch hazel is an amazing natural skin cleanser, and therefore we use it in our Nakin’s Purifying Face Toner. It’s kind and conditioning to skin yet manages to detox and purify by cleansing away dirt, debris, oil and dead skin cells. As well as thoroughly cleaning skin, it makes it better receptive to receiving face treatments and creams applied after cleansing.
- Witch hazel can brighten your eye area because it is able to tighten skin and shrink the blood vessels. It’s good for tired looking eyes and puffiness that is often seen in the skin around eyes. It also helps to brighten dark circles and improve discoloration. Just be careful when using it, not to get it in your actual eye area. While witch hazel is good for brightening we do not recommend applying it in a pure form and directly onto the skin near eyes. Instead for dark circles, lines and puffing we recommend using an anti-ageing eye cream like Nakin’s Eye Cream Complex, which is packed with powerful natural actives to improve and enhance skin around the eyes.
- Witch hazel works superbly to reduce redness; try applying it onto spots to see it work its magic.
- Inflamed skin, such as after razor burn can benefit from the anti-inflammatory properties that naturally occur within witch hazel. It is a strong ingredient, so may need to be watered down for large inflamed areas.
- Witch hazel is a great healer, so apply it to cuts and scrapes to aid skin healing and protect from bacteria.
- Itchy skin can gain relief from applying witch hazel. This might be from irritation, or a bug bite.
- Oily skin types will love the astringent properties of witch hazel, which is able to shrink and tighten pores.
- Balancing the pH of skin is another of the special properties of witch hazel. Some cleansers tend to strip your skin of its natural moisture which can affect the pH balance of skin. Witch hazel is similar to skins own slightly acidic pH, so helps to balance skin.
- Witch hazel is known to reduce swelling and even help with varicose veins. This is from the tannins naturally found in witch hazel, as it has a high content and is made up of around 10% tannins. Tannins can constrict blood vessels, which reduces swelling.
- One of our favourite benefits of witch hazel is in helping lines and wrinkles. We put it at number 10 as there are also lots of other natural actives that do this and reduce wrinkles. Witch hazel tightens and freshens skin, and the polyphenols that naturally occur in it help to prevent skin damage, including fending off lines. If you are looking for natural skincare that helps to keep skin clear, youthful and glowing then take a look at Nakin’s award winning face care at www.nakinskincare.com
As can be seen witch hazel has a great deal of benefits when applied externally to skin. As with all substances take care when using witch hazel, and always do a patch test first to ensure there is no skin irritation. Also take extra precautions if there are any known skin conditions. It’s a good idea to seek medical advice before introducing a new ingredient into your beauty and health regime.
To find out more about Nakin and our award winning natural anti-ageing skincare then please visit us at www.nakinskincare.com The full face care product range is made in the UK and cruelty free.