We have developed a list of entirely natural ways to stop skin itching. When skin is itchy it can be annoying, and if it is persistent then it can really affect quality of life. The main requirement is to get to the root cause of the itching and cure the problem with medical or other interventions. Any itching should be treated quickly, as if it is persistent then it can be hard to beat the itch scratch cycle. We have compiled a list of completely natural ways to help relieve and stop skin itching.
The medical term for itching is pruritus and it occurs when the pruriceptors of the skins nerve cells are activated and send a message to the brain. Skin itching can be caused by a huge range of issues from dry and sensitive skin to allergies, bites, skin conditions like eczema or due to serious illnesses. Therefore, you should always seek medical attention for itching skin in case that there is an underlying medical issue which needs professional treatment.
Below is a list of 100% natural ways to stop your skin itching. We understand that medical professionals may prescribe other treatments such as steroids, and you should always take medical advice. However, at Nakin we believe in the power of plants and holistic therapy to achieve healthy skin, that’s why we produce the best natural skincare products. You may find that you need to try a variety of different and multiple cures for skin itching, as each of our conditions and systems is so unique. What works for one person may not work for another. For any of the plant remedies recommended please always check that the product ingredients are natural and carry out a patch test before using the product.
Natural Ways to Stop Skin Itching
- Look for the triggers of the itching as a first step. Is it worse when you are stressed, after you eat something, or after you use a certain body or hair product? If you can find out the cause of the itching and amend your lifestyle accordingly, then this is the best option. You could keep a diary to try and identify the cause.
- Keeping the skin and itchy area really clean is important as sweat, debris and dead skin cells can cause more irritation. Clean skin with only warm water and natural skin washes, as some conventional washes can irritate skin further. Make sure that skin is dried properly afterwards.
- Using a cold compress on the itchy area can give immediate relief. Apply one to the area and hold for 5-10 minutes. As well as giving relief it cleans the area and can help to break the itch scratch cycle. Just remember to dry the area properly.
- Wear loose natural clothing like cotton as it allows skin to breathe. Tight clothes and some synthetic clothing can cause skin to sweat, which may worsen itchy skin.
- Let the air get to the itchy skin as much as possible. This keeps the area fresh and will stop the skin getting warm, which can intensify itching.
- Assess your diet and nutrition intake and see if there is a chance that you are deficient in a certain nutrient. This could be from lots of different vitamins and minerals, although common ones that may cause itching are deficiencies in iron, zinc vitamin B12, vitamin B3 and vitamin B6, vitamin A and vitamin D. Only a medical professional can diagnose this, and they can advise on the best course of action.
- Hydration for skin is really important if you have itching as it keeps skin fresh, moisture rich and plumped. Dehydration can dry out skin and cause or exacerbate itching.
- Aloe vera is a wonderful plant ingredient for itchy skin. You can purchase a plant and just cut off and open up the leaves for fresh aloe vera, or you can buy tubes of it from most health stores (just make sure it is just pure natural aloe vera). Aloe vera helps skin as it is filled with vitamins and minerals and is antimicrobial. Aloe vera keeps skin hydrated, reduces redness/ inflammation and prevents skin infections.
- Dead sea salts can be amazing for skin as they contain many nutrients. Ensure that they are 100% natural dead sea salts and bath in them as per the instructions. Your skin will benefit from magnesium, sodium, potassium, calcium, bromide and zinc which are all skin conditioning and anti-inflammatory.
- Witch hazel is cleansing and soothing to skin, and even thought to help swelling. It helps to heal skin and stop itching and naturally includes calcium oxalate, gallotannins and safrole.
- Tea tree oil is another natural wonder ingredient that calms irritation, reduces swelling and inflammation. It is a powerful plant that can also kill bacteria and viruses.
- Propolis is a good option if you are not vegan as it is an excellent skin healer and barrier cream for skin. Propolis contains many forms of polyphenols and it’s an ancient remedy used for thousands of years because of its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic and antibacterial properties.
- Chamomile is a well-known herb for its skin calming properties. It has a subtle relaxing smell and naturally contains flavonoids, apigenin, luteolin, and quercetin which help to sooth irritation and itching.
- Acupuncture has been used for centuries as an alternative therapy for many health issues. So, if you have long term itchy skin then as well as seeking medical advice it might be worth having an acupuncture consultation. The Healthcare Medicine Institute report that acupuncture is able to reduce itching in cases of dermatological disorders and systemic diseases. The researchers note that the antipruritic effects induced by acupuncture may correlate to acupuncture’s regulatory effects on brain signalling.
- In the same way that some ingredients are really helpful to skin, there are some products to steer clear of and keep away from skin. Avoid anything that may be irritating to skin such as unnatural creams, shampoos and shower gels.
We hope that you found our guide helpful and that you are able to heal your itchy skin naturally. As we mentioned medical advice should be sought for any conditions that you have, and you can advise a medical professional of the natural treatments that you are planning to try to alleviate the itchiness.
At Nakin we believe in looking after skin naturally. Our full beauty range of face cleansers, moisturisers, eye creams, lip balm and face treatments offer some of the best natural skincare products available in the UK. To find out more about Nakin and our cruelty free skincare then visit us at www.nakinskincare.com Nakin are a British award winning skincare brand, that believe in having beautiful skin at every age. Every product has been exclusively developed using the best plant actives for fresh, soft radiant skin.